Wednesday 21 December 2016

RECIPE: Easy DIY Gourmet Chocolate Bars

Because who doesn't love chocolate?

With Christmas right around the corner, I was looking for affordable gifting ideas that I could make myself at home that gave me a lot of bang for my buck - and I was feeling crafty!

I'm obsessed with the gourmet chocolate bars you can get at Koko Black, but at $9 a pop, they're a little expensive to buy on the reg. So I decided to just DIY my own! These were so quick and easy to put together, and the little gift bags they come in were really simple to make too.

If you love making gifts by hand and are still looking for that perfect pressie for your loved ones (or your extended family and co-workers - these suit everybody!) this Christmas, give this a go - for a gift that not just looks really impressive, but is pretty dang delicious too - bonus!

RECIPE: Easy DIY Gourmet Chocolate Bars

To make one bar, you'll need:

  • A takeaway container
  • Some butter and paper towel (to grease the container)
  • Baking paper
  • 1x 225g bag of Cadbury Chocolate Melts (milk, dark or white - whatever you like!)
  • Any toppings you want! I chose:
    •  goji berries
    • pumpkin seeds
    • macadamias
    • crystallised ginger
    • sliced almonds
    • hazelnuts
    • chia seeds
    • pistachios

If you want to make a bunch of bars like I did, just multiply the recipe! One packet of 225g chocolate melts is exactly enough for one bar, so make sure you have enough of those handy for the number of bars you want to make. 

To make the bars:

1. Melt the packet of chocolate melts in the microwave according to the directions on the packet - usually this is just stirring the chocolate after every 30 seconds or so in the microwave. Like, you can do this on a stove if you're *fAnCy* like that, but this is meant to be easy and microwaves GET. IT. DONE.

2. Very lightly grease your takeaway containers, then line them with baking paper. I swear, takeaway containers are the cheapest and easiest moulds for this recipe, and they're the prefect chocolate bar size!

3. Pour the melted chocolate into the container and then it's time to decorate! This is where you can be as simple or as creative as you like - I decided to melt some white chocolate and drizzle it over the chocolate bar, then sprinkle on the toppings. It's up to you!

RECIPE: Easy DIY Gourmet Chocolate Bars

4. Once you've finished decorating, pop the takeaway container lids on and leave your little chocolate bar babies to set. Usually around 4 hours is plenty of time for them to firm up, but if you leave them overnight, no harm done.

5. Once they've set, all you have to do is pop them out of the takeaway containers the same way you crack ice out of an ice mould. If you've greased and lined the containers, they should slip out pretty easily, otherwise you can gently pry them out with a knife.

RECIPE: Easy DIY Gourmet Chocolate Bars

And that's the chocolate bars done! They look pretty delish, right? But since they're kind of naked and not really easy to give to someone like this, I decided to make my own gift bags. 

There are so many ways to wrap these, but I used plastic gift bags that I bought from Riot Art & Craft (any art supplies shop or variety store like Kmart should have something similar!), which I then decorated with my younger brother with festive washi tape and labels. #cutefamilybonding

The end result is so legit, and they look really freakin' cute. Really wishing I made an extra for myself to munch on, but all of these are going to loving homes on Christmas Day!

RECIPE: Easy DIY Gourmet Chocolate Bars

And there we have it! If we don't chat between now and Santa's visit, I hope you all have a wonderful and safe Christmas. And if you decide to make this recipe, I'd love it if you sent me a photo on Facebook or tagged me on Insta!

What's on your Christmas wish list this year? Let me know in the comments below!


SaveSave
Share:

1 comment

  1. Good idea! Might try this next year when I'm time poor. I always home-make at least some of my gifts. I did coasters this year and it has been a massive time sink with lots of hidden costs. Your chocolate bars look super trendy and so simple!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all of your lovely comments, I love reading them <3 Make sure to leave a link to your blog so I can come say hi! Otherwise look out for a reply on the post :) Love xx

© taken by surprise | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig