Monday 25 May 2015

TOP 10: What high end cult beauty favourites are worth the hype?

Ah, luxury beauty products.

They're usually the ones that we read review upon review about, save up for weeks to be able to justify buying and then use everyday, just because they're so beautiful to wear!

But among all of that luxurious packaging, which ones are actually worth the splurge? I looked at ten universal favourites and tried them out, to help you discover which ones are wishlist-worthy, and which ones can be left on the shelf!


Urban Decay Naked Palette



There are tonnes of high end eyeshadow palettes out there, but ask any Naked Palette user and they will very likely tell you that this 12-shade set is their favourite. Urban Decay's eyeshadows are highly pigmented, incredibly smooth and soft on the lids, and are an absolute dream to blend. While there are five Naked palettes in the collection (Naked 1, 2 and 3, plus Naked Basics 1 and 2), the original palette is easily the most flattering on all skin tones and wears beautifully in both day and night looks. 

Worth the hype? Yes!


M.A.C Cosmetics Lipstick



There's just something about MAC lipstick. There's an impressively wide range of shades, formulas and finishes available, and while they're expensive, I think they're worth the money. A lot of people rave about MAC lipsticks, and it's no wonder, as they really are gorgeous products. I only own two shades, Faux and Brave (pictured left and right), but they're both creamy, very comfortable to wear and have great staying power. I definitely want to add to my collection, I just need to save up a little more!

Worth the hype? Yes!


NARS Blush in 'Orgasm' (Multiple)



NARS Orgasm is a cult favourite among women of all skin tones, because it is universally flattering. However, while I think that the peachy pink with golden shimmers is a gorgeous colour, I rarely find myself reaching for it. I have this shade in both the powder and blush stick (multiple) versions, and don't really use either. If you're a beginner looking for an everyday blush guaranteed to look good, this is a great choice. However, I think that there are even nicer blushes (and colours!) out there.

Worth the hype? No.


Soap & Glory Hand Food

Ask a beauty blogger what their favourite hand cream is, and Soap & Glory's Hand Food is right up there. I was on the hunt for a new hand cream and I put the vote out on Instagram and Hand Food won hands down (excuse the pun)! It's creamy and rich, and not greasy, and it smells just like marshmallows. And for less than $10, it's one of the best high end products that won't break the bank.

Worth the hype? Yes!


Stila Eyeshadow in 'Kitten'



This is one of the eyeshadows that I hear most about in the beauty industry, whether it be in blogs or mentions in videos. Stila's Kitten is a champagne-coloured eyeshadow that is stunning when used in the inner corners of your eyes. However as far as highlight eyeshadows go, there are plenty of brands that have similar colours that are just as good (such as Bourjois). 

Worth the hype? No.


Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion +



When you ask for moisturiser recommendations, the Dramatically Different from Clinique will always come up. When I posted a photo of this on my Instagram I was overwhelmed by the comments of people saying how much they love this! And the love is completely deserved - I went from a Japanese moisturiser that I adored (but unfortunately can't get my hands on here) to this, and it was the easiest transition. It's such a gorgeous addition to my skincare regime and will be for a long time!

Worth the hype? Yes!


Glam Glow Youth Mud Mask



Easily one of the most expensive face masks in the market at $75, Glam Glow is one of those products that you want to try out, but just can't justify the cost. I opted for the mini-size, which is $22 (much more wallet-friendly!) and lasts for at least 10 - if not more - uses. Whenever my skin feels a little uneven and clogged, one use of this makes such a huge difference and I'm left with a clearer and more smooth complexion. See my full review here.

Worth the hype? Yes!


NARS Bronzer in 'Laguna'



The king of all matte bronzers. For contouring and warming up your makeup, there is nothing that a little dusting of Laguna can't fix! It's a lovely milk chocolate shade that creates a natural sculpted look to the face, decolletage and breast bone. If you've been through bronzer after bronzer at the drugstore and just can't seem to find the right one, go for Laguna. It's flawless!

Worth the hype? Yes!


Hourglass Ambient Powder Wardrobe



If the Hourglass Ambient Powder Wardrobe is not in your life, I have no idea why. This is an essential for every makeup lover, because the finish that these powders give to your skin is completely gorgeous. This three-pan palette holds a foundation setting powder, a creamy highlight shade, and a shimmery bronze colour. They give your skin a candle-lit, natural glow that no other powder in the market can achieve. Well worth it! See my full review here.

Worth the hype? Yes! YES! YES!!!


Lime Crime Velvetines



There are so many matte lip creams in the market these days, but I'd take a well-educated guess and say that Lime Crime really pioneered the trend with their Velvetines. These lip colours are vibrant, ridiculously pigmented and incredibly long-lasting. The colour range is continually expanding and contains both natural and rainbow-bright shades. They can be drying on the lips, but if yours are well-exfoliated and moisturised, you should have no problem. In my mind, they're the best of all the lip velvets I own.

Worth the hype? Yes!


What products did I miss? Let me know which high end cult favourites are worth the hype in your opinion in the comments below!

Share:

3 comments

  1. I could not agree more about the Naked palette, sometimes it's worth the extra buck for quality products! I've been looking to try out that lotion by Soap and Glory, I'll definitely have to try it out now!

    chromobeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. MAC lipsticks are also my favourite! I only have a couple but I'm hoping to expand my collection in the holidays! I also love Soap and Glory's Hand Food and Hand Maid, which is the hand sanitiser. It's funny how we consider S&G a high end brand in Australia (after all it's sold at Mecca so I consider it at least mid-range) but in the UK it's just another drugstore brand.

    sayyip.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. MAC is the most favorite of mine. Whether it is for Eyeliner or lipstick. I prefer MAC above all.
    Generic Latisse Online

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all of your lovely comments, I love reading them <3 Make sure to leave a link to your blog so I can come say hi! Otherwise look out for a reply on the post :) Love xx

© taken by surprise | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig