Friday 4 October 2013

TUTORIAL: How to style a side fringe

Anyone who's ever had a fringe has been there... the awkward "growing out stage" where your fringe isn't quite long enough to sweep back but too long to wear at the front of your face anymore.

It can be a real task to get it to behave and after growing out my fringe (I know, the straight front bangs are gone!) to about halfway down my face and trying to style it in the meantime, I've finally figured out a way to get that nice side swept look. And to be honest, I was getting sick of bobby pinning my hair back all the time haha

This look can be done on fringes that are about eyebrow length to chin length, so it's perfect for all of you ladies (or long-fringed boys) who are growing yours out. It gets your hair out of your eyes but still looks really quite lovely.

Wearing the CrownedByFlowers "You Make Me Blush" flower crown

Taken By Surprise Tutorial: How to style a side fringe


What you will need:

Okay, so first off let's take a look at that fringe of yours.

...yeeeesh. That is ONE. LONG. FRINGE. So let's do something about it.


1. With your thin-toothed comb, brush your fringe out so it is smooth and tangle free. Then create a side part and comb your bangs onto the side that you would like your side fringe to be.


2. Because we're going to be using hot tools, make sure to spritz your hair with a heat protectant spray. Mine doubles as a styling spray as well, which helps my hair keep in its styled shape, so I recommend using one :) Then take a section that's about a third of your entire fringe. I find it easier to divide my fringe into sections and style each section individually in the next step.


3. Yay, GIF time! Put that piece of hair in between the hot plates (I have my straighter on at 185 degrees Celsius) and twist the straightener back towards your crown (shown in the GIF), then pull the straightener up so the hair slips through the plates and falls naturally.

http://picasion.com

You'll end up with a funny little curl thing. But don't worry, we still have two more sections to do! So taking the next section of hair, repeat the above step.


4. Once you've styled each section, your fringe will look ridiculous and fluffy and be sticking up all over the place. But don't worry, the next step is magic :) So with your fine-toothed comb, brush out your fringe in the direction away from your face. You might need to comb it a few times through and then it will sit in a lovely little side fringe!


Bonus step: Since I have straight hair, I like to curl my side pieces as well. So I just take the side sections, put the piece in the straightener, twist the straightener and pull it away from my face so the hair falls through it.

picasion.com


5. Now that we have our fringe how we want it, time to hairspray it! I like to hairspray underneath my fringe as well to keep it extra secure and I find that also helps it keep its shape for longer. Make sure to spray your side sections too if you styled them like I did!

How huge is this hairspray bottle?? And gotta love that cross-eyed face haha
And that's it!



Oh, the cheekiness.


Do you have a side fringe or are growing your fringe out? What are your tips? Let me know in the comments below!
Share:

7 comments

  1. Really pretty and cool tutorial. You did it amazing.
    xo, Petra

    http://www.sweetsoflife86.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your long hair, very elegant and classy way to style your fringe!! Thanks for the tutorial!!


    恵美より ♥
    www.emi-doll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tutorial. Even though, I don't have a fringe, I thoroughly enjoyed it. You look gorgeous as usual!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ty, you're such a sweetheart :) xx

      Delete
  4. I never actually style my fringe but now I might change my mind ! Thanks for the lovely tutorial . You look so pretty btw :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you very much Krystal! Do give it a try, you'll never know until you do :) x

      Delete

Thank you for all of your lovely comments, I love reading them <3 Make sure to leave a link to your blog so I can come say hi! Otherwise look out for a reply on the post :) Love xx

© taken by surprise | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig