Wednesday 25 September 2013

REVIEW: Sally Hansen Fuzzy Coat Textured Nail Colour

Textured nails are a thing. 

Did you know that? I didn't. Apparently the big trend in nail art at the moment is textured nails, which is something I must admit, thought was a fad.

But with a whole range of textured polishes and appliques - think Caviar nails, velvet nails, the OPI nail sands... - available now, it looks like the trend is here to stay for a little while longer.

Personally, I don't really get it and they kind of freak me out. I'm happy for my nails to just look pretty, they don't have to be stroke-able as well!

But I decided to give textured nails a try so I could see what all the fuss what about and share my findings with you guys. I picked up the Sally Hansen Fuzzy Coat Textured Nail Colour in "800 Tweedy" in my big Chemist Warehouse and Priceline haul a few posts back, so I finally mustered enough courage to give it a go.




I decided to pick "800 Tweedy" because at the Chemist Warehouse sale, there were literally only two colours left to choose from. This one and "Peach Fuzz"(pictured below), which looked a bit vomit-y in the bottle (sorry Sally!!), so I went for the black and white.
Before popping it on my nails, I decided to swatch the polish on a piece of paper to see what gave the polish its "texture".



Basically, the Fuzzy Coats are a clear polish with little plastic confetti-like strips mixed in. So similar to a glitter polish, except not shiny. 

Is it just me or does this particular polish kind of look... well... hairy?

A little weirded out, I painted one coat on my nails (I already had light pink polish on) and they looked like they'd sprouted little hairs. Err.


I waited for that coat to dry and went in for another coat, and it looked MUCH BETTER. It reminded me a bit of the crackle nail polishes and from far away, my nails really did resemble tweed material. So that was kind of cool.


Three coats in and I'm starting to appreciate the fuzziness. I added on a clear top coat and my nails looked pretty nice actually. These photos are up close so you can see my messy handiwork (those little plastic strips got everywhere!), but when I held my hand away, I was pretty impressed with the effect.




Pros:
- When I removed the polish (using nail polish remover pads), it came off surprisingly easily. Normally glitter or textured polishes are ridiculously tiresome to remove.
- The overall effect looked just like material.
- An easy way to achieve a "nail art look" without having to actually do any art.
- You can apply it over coloured nail polish for a different effect.

I keep a notepad just for swatching nail colours haha


Cons:
- Have to paint at least two coats before the effect looks any good.
- It's hard to find an outfit that would suit this type of nail look.
- Surface of the nail feels and looks bumpy, even with top coat.

All in all, I don't think I will buy any other colours in the Fuzzy Coat range. They kind of weird me out. But at the same time, I do think I will wear this one again, maybe on top of a colour as a feature nail.

Have you tried any textured nail polishes? What did you think? Let me know in the comments below!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for all of your lovely comments, I love reading them <3 Make sure to leave a link to your blog so I can come say hi! Otherwise look out for a reply on the post :) Love xx

© taken by surprise | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig