Thursday 31 January 2013

DIY Flower Crowns

Okay ladies, let's be honest. How many of you envisioned when you were a little girl, that one day Prince Charming would come along and whisk you off your feet? To have your very own Disney-themed fairytale ending? If you're nodding your head with stars in your eyes, I know exactly how you feel!

However now that we're all grown up, we understand that it's a bit more complicated than just pricking our finger on a magic needle and being awoken by true love's kiss... (I'm hoping one day one of my afternoon sleep-ins will result in a wakeup smooch from Ryan Gosling - a girl can dream!). But even if we can't be a princess in real life, we most definitely can dress like one!

Today's post is all about how to make your own Flower Crown - something the inner princess in you will adore, and something that will add a bit of fairytale whimsical charm to any outfit!

Taken By Surprise Tutorial: Flower Crowns


What you will need: 
- Two bunches of fake flowers
(I suggest choosing a bunch all of one colour, and then a mixed bunch)
- A plain black alice-style headband
- Green tape
(you can buy this from the florist)
- Wire cutters or strong scissors
- Pliers

1. Using your scissors or wire cutters, trim your flowers so they have about 4cm of stem left. Try to keep any leaves or little flowers intact as they add to the overall effect!


2. Choose what flowers you would like to use and "draft" your design by arranging the flowers along the headband. I chose blue as my focus colour and added a purple and white flower to mix it up. You can use whatever flowers/colours you like, though I suggest using the same types of flowers (all roses, all gerberas, etc.) to make it evenly spaced.

3. With the trimmed stem, wind it around the headband in your desired placement. Use pliers to help bend the wire if need be. The flower should be fairly secure.

4. Using the green tape, cover the stem by wrapping the tape around the stem and headband in a crossing pattern to securely attach the flower to the headband. 


5. Continue to do this until all of your flowers are attached, then cover up any gaps using more green tape. If your stems are pointy, the green tape will also help smooth them out so you don't have things jabbing into your head!

Now you have your very own flower crown!



I also sell my crowns on Etsy at CrownedByFlowers; come by if you would like!

What colour(s) would you make your flower crown? Let me know in the comments below!



Share:

17 comments

  1. oh your floral crown looks so much better than mine! i made mine about a year ago and the flowers fell off a week later. now i know to wrap the stems around the headband! my next crown shall have red flowers for valentines day <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I'm sure yours look just as lovely :) I'm glad my tips helped though! And a red one sounds beautiful, I wore a red one on Valentine's Day this year as well :) x

      Delete
  2. Wow, it's so amazing and you look so lovely , the color really suits you! Definetely gonna use these tips when I have time!

    Have a lovely day!

    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary, I'm happy you think so! :) x

      Delete
  3. so cute!! nice color you choose x3

    visit my blog ^^
    www.luchluchcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this DIY!! The result is beautifull and you really look gorgeous!

    -xoxo- lorena

    http://www.lolitainthemix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your crown and you look so so pretty wearing it at your birthday party!! Gorgeous! Happy b-day! Hope you had a blast!

    ='.'=)
    -Lauren at adorn la femme

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is gorgeous!
    amazing work :)

    xoxo,
    Angel
    http://angeldiamante.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cool you made that - very pretty :D I am going to try too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck, I'd love to see yours! x

      Delete
  8. Excelente idea and all the DIY are better than anything buy in the stores!

    Kisses from Venezuela

    Rem
    http://fromthelittlevenice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice DIY, So lana d. r. :))) <3

    http://thecasualprincess.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can anyone tell me where I can get these materials in London? I've been searching for SO long and can't find them anywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Aus, but I bought most of my materials from the $2 shop. The special tape you can get from a florist :) Good luck! x

      Delete
  11. Yay this is the best. Thank you!
    I've made two today and they cost me literally half of what one I would have bought online would have cost! I am obsessed with flower crowns but making them myself seemed so hard, so thanks for this. And you are gorgeous!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, I'm so glad you enjoyed this tutorial! That's so lovely of you, they are definitely a lot of fun to make :) xx

      Delete

Thank you for all of your lovely comments, I love reading them <3 Make sure to leave a link to your blog so I can come say hi! Otherwise look out for a reply on the post :) Love xx

© taken by surprise | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig